Tour: Route 66 History and Brews
For those in town on Friday looking to see some points of interest and local history – we got a list of things for you! This is a self guided tour and you are on your own for transportation but ask around as others might have room in their cars.
You are welcome to take the tour as outlined below from your hotel or adjust it to your interests/available time. For those looking for other things to do, places to eat or just want more ideas – scroll down and check out these additional recommendations below.
Route 66 Tour Stops & Directions
Below is a map you can use if you wish to go out on your own, adjust the plan to meet your own time constraints, or please see the full list of the stops we will be trying to fit in (which is just a best order and not a set plan). While most of the stops are free, there are some that have reservations that are required (Joliet Prison Self Tour – book the 2PM time slot if doing lunch after the Games and not just getting photos of the outside) and any food or beverage you might want along the way at Lock & Mule, MyGrain Brewing or Rich & Creamy located by the Route 66 Park in Joliet.
|1||Holiday Inn & Candlewood Suites||Conference Hotel||1471 Rock Creek Blvd, Joliet, IL 60431|
|2||Route 66 Park – Joliet||Point of Interest/Photo Opp||920 N Broadway St, Joliet, IL 60435|
|3||Lock & Mule by Tangled Roots Brewing Company (there are other great lunch places in downtown Lockport too)||Brewery/Lunch||1025 S State St, Lockport, IL 60441||https://tangledrootsbrewingco.com/the-lock-and-mule/|
|4||Route 66 Sign – Lockport||Point of Interest/Photo Opp||1327 S State St, Lockport, IL 60441|
|5||Joliet Prison||Point of Interest/Photo Opp||1125 Collins St, Joliet, IL 60432||https://www.jolietprison.org/|
|6||Union Station – Joliet Downtown Parking||Central Parking Lot for Downtown||14 W Jefferson St, Joliet, IL 60432||https://www.jolietunionstation.com/|
|7||MyGrain Brewing||Brewery||50 E Jefferson St #106, Joliet, IL 60432||http://www.mygrainbrewing.com/|
|7||Illinois Rock & Roll Museum on Route 66||Point of Interest/Photo Opp||9 W Cass St, Joliet, IL 60432||https://www.roadtorock.org/|
|7||Route 66 Selfie Station @ Joliet Area Historical Museum||Point of Interest/Photo Opp||204 N Ottawa St, Joliet, IL 60432||https://www.jolietmuseum.org/|
|7||Joliet Area Historical Museum||Point of Interest/Photo Opp||204 N Ottawa St, Joliet, IL 60432||https://www.jolietmuseum.org/|
|7||Rialto Square Theatre||Point of Interest/Photo Opp||102 N Chicago St, Joliet, IL 60432||http://www.rialtosquare.com/|
|8||Cathedral Area||Point of Interest/Photo Opp||41.52789184617608, -88.10933840418964|
|9||Holiday Inn & Candlewood Suites||Conference Hotel||1471 Rock Creek Blvd, Joliet, IL 60431|
And if you want to see this list on a map in order, here you go (feel free to save it as well).
Joliet & Local Places to Visit
If you are looking for some additional places to hike, take a dip or get some great photos do check out this list. If you have any questions or need any other recommendations just let us know and we will try and help.
If you are looking for some additional places to hike, take a dip or get some great photos do check out this list.
- Portillo’s – Joliet (No inside Seating) – 1444 N Larkin Ave, Joliet, IL 60435
- Portillo’s – Shorewood – 1155 Brook Forest Ave, Shorewood, IL 60404
- Lou Malnati’s (deep dish) – 1528 Route 59, Joliet, IL 60435
- Johnny’s Beef & Gyros – Joliet – 3567 W Jefferson St, Joliet, IL 60431
- Mark’s on 59 – 714 Cottage St, Shorewood, IL 60404
- Pizza For U (thin crust) – 116 S Larkin Ave, Joliet, IL 60436
- Mr. Submarine – 1507 W Jefferson St, Joliet, IL 60435
- Chicken-N-Spice Shorewood – 150 Brook Forest Ave Unit A, Shorewood, IL 60404
- White Fence Farm (No inside Seating) – 80 Barney Dr, Joliet, IL 60435
- Aurelio’s Pizza Joliet (pub style pizza) – 3101 W Jefferson St, Joliet, IL 60435
Hiking, Activity, Point of Interest
If you want to get out a bit more and see some great parks, waterfalls, hikes and more check out these places.
- The Haley Mansion – 17 S Center St, Joliet, IL 60436
- The Forge Adventure Park & Ziplines – 227 Heritage Quarries Dr, Lemont, IL 60439
- Starved Rock State Park – 2668 East 873 Road, Oglesby, IL 61348
- Buffalo Rock State Park – 1300 N 27th Rd, Ottawa, IL 61350
- Pelican Harbor Indoor/Outdoor Aquatic Park – 200 Lindsey Ln, Bolingbrook, IL 60440
- Joliet Iron Works Historic Site – 31 Columbia St, Joliet, IL 60432
- Highland Park Disc Golf Course – 41°31’59.9″N 88°01’57.0″W, Joliet, IL 60432
Thirsty? Joliet and the surrounding area has some great breweries of which some of those that I frequent the most are listed here: